Wednesday, October 31, 2007

onwards and upwards

We're still on the rollercoaster but yesterday saw many successes and
everyone's spirits have vastly improved. For one, Darcy slept eight
hours straight from Tuesday to Wednesday, which means that Better Half
Dave and I managed significantly more shut eye. Granted, the peanut
sleeps between us and must be one of the founding members of Jiangxi
breakdancing given that he manages to spin and propel himself around
the bed at night without ever waking up. For instance, Dave and
I awoke at 2:00 am each with one of Darcy's feet on our faces and his
head facing the foot of the bed.

He still rages against us at time but, atleast yesterday, his cries
sounded more like cries of fatigue rather than cries of abject fear
and misery.

As for yesterday's itinerary, we ventured down to buffet restaurant
off the lobby for breakfast (read; included in room cost but
frightening). Then, Darcy experienced his first stroller ride. He
insists on being held at all times (primarily by me) so we were all a
little fearful about how he would react. Dave and my dad took turns
wheeling him around the lobby, but it wasn't until speed demon Diana
took over the wheels that Darcy began to lean back in the stroller
(likely due to the g-force).

We then headed out to see the multi-storied Pavillion built in the
Sung (I think) architectural style. It was breathtaking (but
constitutes the only tourist site in this very grey, industrial city).
While BHD, our guide, and the Senior Lo's braved the throngs of
Chinese school children clumbing up the Pavillion and looking to
practice English, Darcy and I picked blades of grass. Pastoral, I
know, but he enjoyed it.

We had a much nicer (read: not included in accommodations but not
scary bad like buffet) lunch at the hotel's second restaurant. For
the first time, Darcy consistently smiled as he discovered the wonders
of playing with chopsticks.

So, the day progressed with minor setbacks (Darcy refuses to nap but
then fatigue turns him into Emperor Crazy Dragon), but a great many
highs. For one, Darcy eats with abandon. He lets you know his likes
and dislikes through unmistakable non-verbal communication (read: he
is really, really bossy). We are getting a real sense of his
personality: he is determined, can focus on new things for long
periods of time, can be mischievous, but also very affectionate.

And, last but not least, after some post-dinner hysterics and complete
exhaustion of all song lyrics I know (from the Beatles to
Raffi), we got him to sleep last night after only 45 minutes. Victory
is so sweet!

Meanwhile, BHD and I have been fighting various ailments. Dave
developed an icky cold on Tuesday and it still persists. I had what I
hope was only a small stomach bug (see previous comment re nasty
breakfast buffet); I managed to break many of the capillaries around
my eyes while violently getting sick in the afternoon. Fair warning
when you see my raccoon-like pictures from yesterday.

My parents (aka the Wonder Twins) have more than come to our rescue.
From getting us food and preparing Darcy's strange congee concoctions
to all-around positive attitudes, we're not sure how we would be
coping without them.

More pictures later. Wish us luck - we have a bus tour of sorts
today. We'll see if young Mister Darcy approves.

- Laurelle

4 comments:

Marguerite said...

You are really getting the hang of this parent business! I am impressed. And Darcy is such a handsome handful! We look forward to hearing about the bus tour ...

Marguerite

Unknown said...

Determined, focused, mischievous and affectionate?? Sounds like someone I know! You and Dave are really amazing (and of course the Los). I fully expect many more photos to be posted given that your dad is there. Thanks for letting us all share in this. I eagerly await each entry.

Unknown said...

Laurelle - I hope you sang at least one verse of 'Rock the Casbah' to Darcy!! Otherwise how will he ever fully appreciate and emulate your ability to recognize the Clash in just 3 notes?? I love the updates, can't wait for more pics. xoxo

Unknown said...

Will you please keep this up after you return home??? I look forward to reading new entries every day! Your fans are clamoring for more.